Tuesday 22 April 2008

Just a ride

This week's weigh in

Weight 99.2kg
Weight loss this week 0.7kg (at last)

Miles last week 166
Longest Ride 122 miles

After weeks of pressured rides (training, climbing, etc) and frankly getting a bit fed up, Sundays Derbyshire Dales Audax was a deliberate attempt at just going out for a ride.

No pressure, no targets, just enjoy it. Since it started from close to home (10 miles) cycling to and from also seemed like a good idea, except the weather had other ideas. When it wasn't raining it was cold and miserable, and the wind howled, but at least it was behind us for the second half.

In the Dales, cloud touched road, and it seemed more like November than April (though that may have been wishful thinking, since that would have given me more training time).

9+ hours of very leisurely riding yielded a calorie burn of 6,300 at an average heart rate of 127, well within the fat burning range, hence the weight loss this week.

Meanwhile, the organisers have posted the detailed itinerary and broom wagon times, which are eminently do-able. See what I just said? I'm going to succeed, and I WILL beat the broom wagon. The real test for me will be to make the 119.9km to the top of the Tourmalet in under 7 hours to avoid elimination.

Total climb claims to be 3284 metres, descent 1841 metres and coupled with the 169km distance, my last 2 sportive results would indicate a predicted finish time of 8hours 20 plus stops. Would I ever settle for that!!?

Those wishing a quick look at the closest I can get to the route will find it here.

Big training weekend in Wales this coming weekend. I forecast pain.

2 comments:

Lee said...

9+ hours of very leisurely riding

Wow! My longest is still only 6.5hrs at RVV.

How are you feeding yourself on these long runs?

Clive Handy said...

I will admit to cake and coffee stops on Audaxes, but usually on a ride I rely on energy and electrolyte drinks, torq gels and bars.

Yesterday on a 9 hour ride we had a tea-shop stop for coffee and cake again, which was a life saver. On todays 5 hour ride we resorted to what we could carry in the form of gels/powders and bars, mixing with water we bought on the way round.