Saturday 5 April 2008

Absolutely Loopy!

In an effort to remain focused, new events have appeared in the training diary.

We hope next weekend will be good, weather wise, since I am now (at Alec's suggestion) signed up for the Lakeland Loop on the 13th April. As if the 1:4 of Mow Cop wasn't enough, that event finishes over Hardknot and Wrynose Passes in Cumbria which, I am told, are 1:4 and 1:3. I somehow think it might be a little difficult to stay on the bike over those after 100+ km.

May 4th sees the Forest of Dean Spring Classic, which is in an area I like having visited for a rather damp Audax (rained torrentially for the whole 6 hours) last year.

Finally (for now) Russell at the Cycle Studio in Stratford-upon-Avon, not content with selling me the Trek MadOne, has convinced me to sign up for the Circuit of the Cotswolds two weeks prior to the Etape. We've already done most of the climbs on this one in the "Petit Etape du Cotswolds" we put together a couple of weeks ago. I'm assured that although I'm on the reserve list, everyone on that list got a start last year.

The lads at the Cycle Studio are urging us to "shell Russell off the back" at the earliest opportunity. I haven't the heart to tell them, but "shelled off the back" is a position I usually reserve for myself ready for the first hill of the day. Never mind.

No comments: