Monday 22 October 2007

?? weeks to go

Weight 107kg
Target 108kg (2kgs off last week)
Miles last week 101, (three hundred and something behind target year to date)

Hallelujah! Weight loss at last, helped no doubt by a few extra miles last week.

It's perhaps worth explaining where the 300+ behind target has come from. I hadn't cycled much at all until July 2006, when colleagues at work decided that it might be a good way of keeping fit, and getting out of the office at lunchtime.

A trip to the local tip followed (together with it's charity shop) and I exited with an aged Peugeot 10 speed in need of some TLC, at a cost of just a tenner. Bargain!

Miles followed, together with the realisation that I quite enjoyed cycling, even on a steel-framed monster with equally steel rims that brought you to a halt when THEY felt like it. Thus a target of 70 miles a week came into being. This far I am averaging over 65 miles a week, but not the full 70, hence the shortfall. I still hope to make it up by Christmas.

The Peugeot has long since departed back to the charity shop from whence it came, but not before it escaped from under me on a corner breaking a toe in the process, severely undermining my confidence in any tyre who's tread pattern doesn't suggest it came off a tractor.

I'm now riding a Halfords Carrera, doctored with an 11-34 rear cassette (much to the amusement of 'real' cyclists) which at least gives me the chance of getting most of the way up most of the hills.

I suppose its now a case of "same again next week" and wait until Thursdays announcement.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know most blogs offer pictures.

The one thing we demand is pictures.

Pictures and black text on a white background.

black text on a white background and pictures.

The two things we demand are pictures and black text on a white background

and an itinerary of where you have been cycling.

The three things we demand....

Clive Handy said...

Mmmmm. pjs, pjs, who could pjs be?

You don't by any chance ride a Trek Mad One 5.2 do you?

And its half a denari if you want me full life story.