Tuesday 16 October 2007

Starting Out

Bear with me, I've never tried this blogging mularkey before, but I figure its a good way of recording thoughts and progress for myself, even if no-one else ever reads it.

Well, the clue's in the title. I'm counting down to the Etape du Tour 2008, even if no-one knows when or where it's going to be yet.

I doubt that it will be that easy, given that I'm currently 109kgs, with a BMI of about 35. I'm unsure whether thats Obese, Clinically Obese or Morbidly Obese, but you get the picture....

At least I'm not going at it from a standing start, having done a few Audaxes, and a Sportive cycle ride here and there this year (2007), of course nothing approaching an Etape.

Target weight loss, 1 kg per week through until 75kgs, that will be about the end of May. Training target 70 miles per week up to the end of 2007. I'm currently about 350 miles down on that for 2007 as a whole, but I aim to make that up by Christmas.

Time to get on the Turbo trainer and burn a few calories. I've purchased a Tacx Fortius, which is currently plugged into the PC and raring to go. I think that the Alpe d'Huez program can wait for now, I'll try something flatter to build the miles first. No point peaking too early, is there?

2 comments:

Richard Allen said...

Clive,

Good Luck on both the cycling & the weightloss.

A couple of tips.

1. Start with a bang. There is a great motivational boost to be had to having lost a few kilos and cycled a few extra miles. That will keep you striving to do better.

2. Consider joining a cycling club. There club runs make getting out on the bike a whole lot easier and you will learn loads from the other experienced cyclists.

All the best.

Anonymous said...

Virtual Cycling - The imagic/Fortius make Virtual Cycling or turbo training very interesting.
Geoff