Monday 18 February 2008

Kop that!

First the bad news

Weight 103.5kg
up 0.2kg this week.

Miles last week 34 miles
Longest day 34 miles

Now this week I understand the weight gain. A birthday coupled with a light week of training will do that to you.

That said there were some highs this week. The Cat & Fiddle loop of 3 hills was completed in 2 hours 21 minutes, a full 18 minutes inside Memory Map's estimated time. I guess that good 'A' class roads do make a difference after all, as does remembering to pump up your tyres to 100 psi before you start off.

The climb of Cat & Fiddle and Axe Edge took 5 minutes longer than lasts years Rourkie Cat & Fiddle Challenge, but didn't have a hot day or other riders to help things along. Equally, a 20 minute rest last year was only a 10 minute rest yesterday, so the elapsed time was 5 minutes better.

In addition, I deliberately didn't use the bottom 2 gears of my exceedingly wide range cassette, relying instead on the gearing that will be on the Madone when it arrives.

Unfortunately, I did need them all later when we progressed to Mow Cop (sorry, did I spell it wrong in the title? What could I have been thinking of?) It was at this point I proved 3 things:
1. You can ride down it
2.It's very worrying riding down it
3. I still need a 34/34 on my current bike to get back up it.

But I did get back up it. In one go. Without getting off (except putting a foot down to realign the chain on the bottom end, and I'm not counting that!)

Time in last year's Cheshire Cat Sportive: 31 minutes (23 of which was walking, or trying to)
Time yesterday: 14 minutes
Result!

Now, if I could ignore my stomach, I could actually do this thing.

2 comments:

the E.Port Sloth said...

Just 'cos we won't be record breakers this year, unlike Derby.
- record lowest points total in a season, record highest goals against, record earliest confirmation of relegation ....
Perhaps you should adopt Derby's training regime. They seem to be really good at going downhill fast!

Karen Popplewell said...

Clive, just reading through your training distances and your way ahead of me mate. I've only managed just over 200 miles for feb so far. I can't wait for light nights!! Have you got a MMO or GPX of the Cat & Fiddle loop that you're doing somewhere on your site? I wouldn't mind trying that one out.
Thanks