Monday 25 February 2008

Another Milestone

This week's weigh-in first..

Weight 102.6kg
Weight loss this week 0.9kg (the diet police have taken over at work, snacking is now a capital offence)

Miles last week 135
Longest ride 95 miles

Yesterday saw the first meeting of the "Gang of Four" who will be participating at the Etape. Previously, we have only ever ridden in two's and the very occasional three.

The Radway Audax ride from Cheadle was completed by most of us in about 6hrs 5 minutes + 45 minutes(ish) of stops, give or take 10 minutes for those faster than myself. 95 miles, but not much climbing. Basic speed seems to be coming along, now its time to add a few hills. Unfortunately, the weather and road conditions were none-too-kind, being a mixture of rain and animal excrement. Which of them was falling from the sky, and which was filling the numerous potholes, I know not. But I do know where most of it ended up. It ended up on my bike, which has just taken 2 hours to clean up to the extent it will be allowed back in the house and onto the turbo trainer. It's not often (thankfully) that you have to remove jockey wheels from the rear derailleur and clean them up before the chain will move properly.

The milestone? Since I started in July 2006 I have now completed over 6,000 miles of cycling. Not bad for a fat bloke.

On a technical note, Karen (see links) has asked if I have a gpx file of the Cat & Fiddle loop we did last weekend. If I were even slightly competent at doing these blog thingys it would be here

Enjoy. I think the Cat & Fiddle is probably the nicest climb I have yet done. Long, testing, but not enough to kill you. Remember not to brake too much down the hill from Axe Edge. 51mph first time down, 47 mph last time.....nice (if a little scary afterwards)

Over the Malverns next weekend for another 150km and at least 1500m of climbing (to be confirmed by Memory Map)

2 comments:

Karen Popplewell said...

Hi Clive
Well done on the 6000 miles.
Thanks for posting the loop. That looks a nice one. A bloke down the road has told me about a road coming out of Whalley Bridge, heading towards Buxton. It's a red road on my memory map. Apparently, it's about 5 miles of constant climbing and he often sees GB squad training on it because it's a quiet road.
I'm hoping to try it on Wednesday so will let you know.
x

Lee said...

Wow, riding 95 miles already! I don't think I'll be ready for that kind of slog until June.

Good luck with the new bike when it arrives - don't forget to put some pics up :)