Tuesday 3 June 2008

Four get plenty wet!

The weigh in

This week 100.4kg (Oops!)
Weight gain 1.0 kg

Miles last week 149
Miles for May 644
Longest Ride/Day 107 miles

After 2 attempts that were only 75% successful, the first time Etappers finally had a 100% turnout on a Sportive event last Sunday, when we all got to the start of the Polka Dot Challenge. Not only that, but our 'team' jerseys from the Cycle Studio with company logos in place had arrived, so we looked the part. On the down side, 'team' attire does make you feel somewhat conspicuous, especially when you're not that good.

Right from the off I tried to hook up with a group of riders who, it transpired, were very strong, and I arrived in Macclesfield just about on the back of the group with my legs barely still attached. The Cat & Fiddle soon sorted that out as I went backwards pretty quickly, despite knocking 6 minutes off my best time bottom to top. Windproofs/Showerproofs-on was the order of the day as the weather closed in and deteriorated rapidly, soaking everything for the next 2 hours or so. Long Hill was, well, long, but thankfully mostly on the downhill side. Chinley and Chunal Heads were vicious but short, Snake was venomous. By the top of Snake, I had the backache from hell, but this eased on the 20 miles without a climb that followed. The next pass, though was Winnatt's. 20% for far too long, this was a feast for the senses:

Sight: green grass and rocky crags

Sound: Sheep, birds and cyclists' muttered expletives

Smell: Car clutches burning out as they came past.....

Feel: That you'd really rather be doing something else. Anything else.

Taste: The taste of success arriving undismounted at the top.


Winnatt's Pass. Please note other passes are available. 'Weather' is guaranteed, but past results are not an indicator of future performance. Weather is regulated by a Higher Authority who recently does not seem to get on with cyclists.




The top arrived none too soon, and was followed by several miles of 'undulations' prior to a proper ascent of Axe Edge all the way from the middle of Buxton. Fitness is building, I've never had enough left on Axe Edge to change back up the gears until the very top, on Sunday I managed it from half way up, and in a ratio higher than the other bike (first time up Axe Edge on Mr Trek).

Then, the bit I had been waiting for. The Datameister attack on the land speed record on the descent past the Roaches. Lining up the cyclist in front, who had passed on the ascent, the brakes were feathered to ensure overtaking occurred after the first bend, then 108kg of Kamikaze Sumo Cyclist and bike were unleashed downhill in their full enormity.

What I hadn't counted on was that every bike (I am told) at a certain speed (different for each bike) has a tendency to develop a 'speed wobble'. I have discovered that for my Trek Madone, this occurs at 52.9mph. Some say that such speed wobbles can be corrected by balance distribution, centre of gravity, wheel balance and many other things. All I know is I'm unsure whether I wish to find out. Thankfully, it developed at the start of the 'roll-out' at the bottom, so didn't last long enough to get serious, but I nearly bought shares in the dry-cleaning sector.

Gun Hill was subsequently dispatched, and the remaining 30km ground out back to the finish without further mishap, only to find that the other three had been waiting for AGES for me to get back. I was pleased with my time, I guess they must be delighted with theirs.

Compulsory Stats:
Ride Time 7:13:11
Elapsed Time 7:20:00
Distance 164km/102miles
Climb (Memory Map) 3042m/9980 feet
Average Speed 22.8kmh/14.2mph
Max Speed 85.1kmh/52.9mph (never again, until next time)
Average Hr 144 Max 171
Calories burned 6,078

Now that the results are out, we can see how good our rides were. OK, I know it's not a race, and we weren't racing, but just going out to do the best we could.

Nevertheless out of 269 finishers (from left to right):
Mike 6th
Clive (the only one NOT wearing the team corset) 181st
Brett 17th=
Mark 57th=

A Grand Day Out, and another one inside Etape pace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You all look the bizz, I shouldn't have any problem spotting at least one of you on the 6th to give my regards.

If I didn't live too far away I wouldn't have minded joining your first time etapers if you would have me, well done on the ride guys.

I experienced my first scary speed wobble descending the Bealach last year Clive, I just couldn't get out of it. It felt like my front wheel had broken a few spokes, the best thing I could do was stand up and slow down which sorted it out, yep a real dodgy pants experience as they say.

Clive Handy said...

Of course we'd have you. One of the great things about all this is getting out on the road with your mates. Even if they do leave you miles behind......